A primary care physician, or PCP, provides continuing care of varied medical conditions, not limited by cause, organ system, or diagnosis. It covers population of 18 years old and above. PCP interviews the patient to collect information on the present and prior medical symptoms, formulates a plan including components of further necessary testing, adequate preventive measures including life-style changes and treatment options. Primary care physicians also counsel and educate patients on safe and effective health maintenance. PCP is responsible to collaborate with referral specialists, coordinate the care given by varied organizations such as hospitals. PCP is an “advocate” of the patient and always acts on behalf of the patient.
Primary Care Physician scope of essential practice involves:
- Adopt successful models for addressing risk factors of various diseases and this way manage quality of care
- Patient education, promoting healthy way of life - including disease prevention, lifestyle modifications if deemed necessary
- Management of chronic and complex conditions, needing constant and close monitoring, including medication therapy. Conditions, such as hypertension or cardio-vascular diseases
- Management of various acute conditions
- Providing home visits in case of necessity
- Rendering medical care to different professional categories based on employers’ relevant needs and Georgian Legislation